Monday, September 15, 2014

5 Tips for TS2 Houses

I've always loved the Sims; when I started, with Sims 2, I fell in love with the lifelike reality of the game. It's one of the many reasons I don't consider myself a gamer; this, like many other series (Animal Crossing, Spore, Harvest Moon, et cetera) are closer to real life, rather than gaming.

I don't talk about the Sims 3.

Tell me thing ain't cute.

Anyway, with the release of Sims 4, I felt it was imperative to gain a knowledge of architecture to avoid the box-houses I previously created. So, over the course of about a day, I studied architecture and learned how to create beautiful, and functional houses.

However, you'd probably like to see something closer to a tips-and-tricks deal for seemingly beautiful exterior design. That, I believe, I am qualified to supply.




1. Choose a Theme

I'm no architect- I can't define a house's style based on details in the exterior. I can however, recognize a theme of a house, primarily based on exterior. Here's a small guide I created to further your understanding.

These houses are totes livable.

On the left, we have a 90's suburb style mini-house; The off-white with brown stripes is a dead giveaway to the theme. It also includes a trimmed bush, a white window that opens, and the stairs are wooden, which is common in the suburbs. It may also include a porch, or cement stairs. The foundation is brick, though it's hard to tell here.

In the center, the country-style/modern suburb house features a fake-rock looking wall. It has cement stairs and grey brick foundation. The window is similar to the 90's suburb house, and there is a rosebush in front.

On the right, we have a modern urban house. It features an unkempt plant, 'floating' stairs, and a tall glass window that doesn't open. It has an open roof with a fence.

These are obviously just guidelines/cheats; Feel free to put any spins on this theory that you want.

It works!

2. Stay Consistent

If you're anything like 10-year-old me, you'll have put bright colored flooring that you like, and used 50 different kinds, and made rugs with the tiles, and this and that and... However, I've found it most effective to just use two floors with synergy, a soft carpet, and hardwood/tile. This applies to the wallpaper as well. I usually use the same everywhere, and change the bathroom or bedroom.

Charlotte should write 'some toilet'
up in her web.

3. Make it Compact

We all want that big, roomy house, but it's incredibly hard to create a big, roomy house in the Sims 2, as it lacks many customization tools that would be useful. (Hello, turning at a 45 degree angle? Not possible.)

Compactness allows you to create a budget home that looks like you know what you're doing. Which you might be!

I'd... avoid the right... While it's an exaggeration, it happens much more often than you may think!

This is just plain wrong. It needs a plant.

4. Add a Potted Plant on the Porch.

If you have a porch, put a potted plant on it. There's nothing else to say here. It works wonders.

If you must know, it adds a 'homey touch' to your house. It will show visitors that they are welcome, that your sims cares about nature, and it looks normal, many houses have plants there. (Not all of them alive, if you're looking at my house.)

What of the paths!

5. Make a Path Leading to the Mail Box

Seriously, do this, unless your driveway is right next to the door/stairs.

The path that matches the sidewalk is preferable, as it provides consistency with the nature. That being said, other path choices might be both more interesting, or even more realistic.

It really depends on what you are going for.



Did this guide help you at all? What do you do to make sure your houses are the best they can be? Is functionality more important than looks? Tell me in the comments, and subscribe for more video game and artistic tips, tricks, reviews, and more!



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 SoSuperFaboo
- Published By Gooyaabi Templates | Powered By Blogger